Saturday, December 5, 2009

Goodbye Dallas, Hello New York




On November 19th Medora and I played a little going-away gig at The Pearl Cup on Henderson Ave. Accompanied by Mack Price on lead guitar, Alan Hoffman on percussion, and with the unexpected appearance of Dale (don't know his last name) on flute and cornet, the show was a hit. We played songs ranging from New Orleans paeans to Cuban music to a few favorite Irish songs.



Our audience consisted of a large group of family supporters, and a number of regular customers at the Pearl who appeared somewhat surprised by the sudden appearance of a five-piece band in the cafe. Dale's appearance capped it off. A friend of Alan Hoffman's, Dale approached us at the start of the performance, saying that he played the cornet and hinting that he might want to join in. We left it at that, and in the rush of getting started I forgot about him. Fast forward a few songs into the set. We're playing the classic Cuban song, "Chan Chan," with Alan drumming a hot beat and Mack ripping out some long runs. We go into an instrumental and suddenly I hear a flute performing the most amazing solo. I look over and Dale's playing the flute like a snake charmer and definitely charming the captivated audience. Mack and I looked at each other and just laughed. Mack said "let's let them play," and we both dropped off as Alan and Dale played off each other for a solid couple minutes.



After running through our Irish songs and Cuban "Odysseys" we came to the meat of our material -- "St. James Infirmary," "Do You Know What it Means to Miss New Orleans," and "When You're Smiling." There were so many times playing those songs that I felt like I was back in New Orleans, sitting in the Spotted Cat or Fritzel's Jazz Pub. After the show a woman from the audience came up to me and said, "do you all have a card or something? I would love to book you guys in the future." It was a great compliment, especially considering that it was our first time all playing together.



I feel so lucky to have had the chance to play with everyone. Medora was really shining all night. I suppose that all of those grueling months of performing in the New Orleans Public Schools are paying off, because I've never seen her so comfortable in front of an audience. She looked entirely in her element, and her enthusiasm for the music and for the opportunity to share it with her loved ones was contagious and irresistible.



Many thanks to Mack, Alan and Dale. Mack really brought the show, and it was easy to see why he was such a badass back in the day with Raebern. Tearing it up on guitar, and bringing loads of energy to the performance, Mack held everything together. Thanks to Alan for providing some much-needed Latin rhythm for the hopeless Gringos to follow. On every song he brought something special and unique to the table. And of course, thanks Dale! I don't know where you came from but you're welcome to snake-charm in my house any day.



And finally, thanks to all of our supporters. You guys were great and it was a real pleasure to share this music with all of you. It hasn't always been easy for us during these months in Dallas, but I have to say that Medora's family is truly special. I am deeply grateful to have them in my life.



2 comments:

  1. Medora and Ryan,

    Safe travels and happy hearts as you begin your adventure. I look forward to reading your blog along the way.
    Love,
    Walma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ry and Medora,
    Thanks for emailing me your blog link honey. I was so happy to get your email! You amaze me honey that you are living your life the way I always imagined you would...with a little Indiana Jones adventure and as always my super smart nephew. I keep waiting to hear that you will be visiting Egypt and the pyramids at some point...LOL. I will always remember you and Riki dressing as the identical twin cousins complete with backpacks and water bottles with you were little. Medora, I can't wait to meet you honey, I have only heard wonderful things about you from Tracie.

    Be safe kids and have a blast...and keep the blog up to date. All the rest of us will be following your adventure. See you next year at the wedding.

    Love and hugs,
    Aunt Tanya

    ReplyDelete